Sunday, August 12, 2012

Repurposed Montana Crafts

Pin It Now!

Last weekend I headed to Missoula, Montana for a Bender family reunion.  I hadn't been to a family reunion in 20 years and this is the first one that has ever been in Montana.
It was great to see my relatives and I had a lot of fun.


On Friday we went mining for sapphires.  As we were heading to the mine, we passed the Testicle Festival, which is a festival for eating Rocky Mountain Oysters.  If you don't know what Rocky Mountain Oysters are, you should Google it.
Apparently my cousin, who lives in Missoula, said that she went once and it was quite the spectacle.  Since it's near Sturgis and right around the time of Sturgis the Testicle Festival is populated with a mix of bikers and Montana hippies and probably some folks who are just curious.  She said you really have to go to see what it's like.  We didn't have time for that; next time.

On Saturday, myself and a couple of my cousins went to the various Saturday Markets, all of which are located on South Higgins Avenue.  There are three of them:  one is a farmer's market, strictly food,  few blocks down is a craft and fine arts market where I got this super cool skirt made out of a t-shirt.  I couldn't resist the horses.  The third one is more local foods and crafts, I guess.  I'm actually not sure, but they were all very cool.


On the way home I saw so many billboards that said come check out the "50,000 Silver $ Saloon."  I couldn't resist, plus my cousin told me I should check it out.  It turns out that it has a saloon where the walls are totally covered with vintage silver dollars.  It's pretty cool.  My pictures don't do it justice.



Me and my mom
While perusing the gift shop, I spotted these very interesting bowls and vases made out of rancher's rope, the kind you tie cows up with.  It was old rope that wasn't being used any longer, and since I am a huge advocate of reused products, I couldn't resist.  Actually, my mom bought it for me for being such a nice daughter; aw, thanks, Mom.


Who knew Montana had such cool reused crafts, and I am totally in love with Missoula.  It's like a mini Portland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...